Life

Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love deeply, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Blessings


Hospitals ... more specifically, hospitals and babies. A mission friend of mine just recently had a gorgeous little boy. He had some medical conditions immediately following birth that required immediate heart surgery. I've been reading their daily updates on their personal blog about their little "Iron Man" and his progress. I've prayed for them and I'm so familiar with their feelings to a degree. After having open heart surgery this little guy was suppose to be in the hospital for at least another 2 weeks; the little trooper is only a week out of his heart surgery and is on his way home in the very relieved and happy arms of his parents.

Reading their blog posts about their journey with him has brought up a lot of the emotions that I felt with Kydrun. I felt so helpless, so scared. I was full of SO many questions, none of which anyone could answer for me. I felt like a horrible mother that allowed her baby to get hurt and couldn't protect him from the pain. Seeing him lie there on his hospital bed covered in bandages, swollen and unconscious was the worst feeling in the world. I wished so much I could take his pain away. I felt relief when he opened his eyes, when he spoke, albeit unclearly as he was barely two. I felt buoyed up by the prayers that were offered and by the visitors. We even had visitors that came up and stayed in the waiting room just to be there but unable to muster the strength to see Kydrun in such a state. I understood completely but was so thankful they were there.

Most of all though, I felt strength from the Lord and in fact to this day can see the many small miracles within the excruciating experience that Kydrun had to suffer. One of those was reflected my my mission friend and her little "Iron Man".

This little baby, who's only two weeks old now has had open heart surgery. The doctors told them to expect to be in the hospital for some weeks for his recovery. This little guy has had several Priesthood blessings. After only one week he is going home, happy and healthy. My little man was burned on 20% of his body with second and third degree burns. We were told to expect to be in the hospital for at a minimum of 20 days (one day per percentage of body burned), more if there were complications. My little Kydrun was in the hospital for only 4 days. Kydrun received a blessing first thing when we got to the hospital and I firmly believe that that is what made the difference. The Priesthood gave ME the strength as his mother to provide him the care necessary to assist him in healing. It gave me the strength to not fall completely apart. My overwhelming personality that just sort of takes over a room whenever I'm in it coupled with the strength of the Lord started me on the path of his care. Kydrun's second bandage change was done by me with assistance from the NA's. The third bandage change was done with only supervision. I firmly believe that I could NEVER have done ANY of that, especially not bring him home after only 4 days to care for myself, WITHOUT the power of the Priesthood. How very grateful I am for it. 95% of burn patients that die don't die from their burns, they die from infection. That is why he was projected to stay in the hospital so long, so they could fight off the infections they were prepared for him to get. The infections that he never got, never one. His body was strong, his Spirit was stronger. The Priesthood played such an important role in his life, in his healing and in my life and my ability to care for him.

Another miracle and blessing that we received within Kydrun's burn is where his burn was. Kydrun pulled a pan of hot oil off of the stove onto his all but naked body. The hot oil landed first on his shoulder, pouring down his right arm, over his right shoulder across and down his chest. Other than a small 1st degree drop that got on his chin, his face was not burned at all. His little hands, still perfect and unscathed. The burn actually went down to his wrist and stopped. Additionally, it ran down his chest onto his stomach and into his diaper, stopping only a quarter of an inch above his privates, no damage done there. Even with all of Kydrun's scarring, it can ALL be covered with a t-shirt, even a tank top. His perfect little face was protected, his perfectly naughty little hands untouched. With everything that COULD have gone wrong; with the fact that that oil could have come off of the stove directly onto his face causing untold problems what an ENORMOUS blessing that although he suffered unimaginable pain, the healing was fast and seemingly short considering and he's still whole with nothing that can't be covered if he so chooses.


Kydrun is a blessing in and of himself. He's the sweetest, most gentle child there is. He's my kisser and my lover always giving me hugs and telling me he loves me. I feel sick inside when I think about the pain that my little baby had to suffer, but I feel SO grateful for the Lord, His infinite wisdom, infinite blessings that we don't even know we need. I am so grateful for the Priesthood and the amazing power that it has to make a potentially life-ending problem last only days with complete healing. I am thankful for the fact that Priesthood power was spread among his doctors, nurses, and nurses assistants. We're more than 4 years out of his burn now, he's healed beautifully and other than the scarring, perfectly. But I will never forget the many mini-miracles that I, and especially Kydrun, received during that most difficult and awful time.

No comments: