Life

Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love deeply, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

My brand of Heroin


 Oh my goodness!  Today has been AWFUL! Well, that's not entirely true.  I had a fantastic sleep in w/ my Sweetheart & had a so-so breakfast (Kashi Go Lean tastes a little like sawdust in milk) & then 3 edifying hours at church. After church we had slow cooker pork chops w/ mashed taters & green beans (I skipped the taters of course) ...

But then the SNACKIES hit! Holy cow!! I was craving sweets, sugar, ANYTHING. I ate an apple... didn't help.  I treated myself to 4 chocolate truffles (210 calories for just 4 of them!!).  My Sweetheart brought me a brownie and a scoop of ice cream from the fireside he attended w/ the kids and now I'm eating a fruit smoothy w/ protein (which is disgusting by the way, I'm gagging it down).  What is my problem?!


I read something the other day:

Dr. Mark Hyman confirmed the addicting nature of sugar in a 2011 Huffington Post article.
"The science demonstrating that people can be biologically addicted to sugar in the same way we can be addicted to heroin, cocaine or nicotine is clear. ... In fact, most recovering alcoholics often switch to another easily available drug: sugar," Hyman wrote.
 

 Heroin or cocaine ... how true.  Several years ago, due to a severe lack in judgement on my part (not to mention completely ignoring the Spirit) I ended up in jail for 4 days. It's a pathetic & humiliating memory.  Anyway, while I was in there there were several women who were having withdrawals from heroin. Their withdrawals were so bad. They screamed, cursed, banged their heads on their windows... It was awful & painful to listen to.  Today while withdrawing from the sugar it was my only focus. It was all I wanted.  If I didn't know how my son would react to it ("But Mom! You said you weren't going to drink DP anymore! *sad face*") I would totally have gotten into that Dr. Pepper that one of the kids put into the fridge.  If it weren't for the fact that one of my daughters said I wouldn't make it a week on this diet, I would totally have eaten the entire bag of truffles. 

I fear I'll never be able to get it out of my system. I fear the sugar will always have control over me.  I fear I'll end up hunched up in a corner w/ one fist full of chocolate cake and the other w/ a Dr. Pepper.  It's a scary ugly picture. 


 I am a sugar-addict.










No comments: